About the book
This is an integrated social science series for classes 6, 7 and 8. It conforms and adheres to the guidelines of National Curriculum Framework (NCF). The books in this series aim to ensure the all round development of the children. The books put an end to rote learning and try to evaluate a child’s progress through a process of continuous experiments, interviews, quizzes, etc.
The detailed theme of the book, covering each section is being given to show a glimpse of the book.
UNIT I: OUR PASTS-II HISTORY
The chapter 1 deals with the salient features of medieval period and major historical trends. It also gives an account of the sources of history for the period. The chapters 2 and 3 tell us about the small kingdoms of north and south India between the period 700-1200 AD. The chapter 4 gives an account of the Sultanate of Delhi. From 1206 to 1526 as many as five dynasties ruled over the Delhi Sultanate. In chapter 5 the rise and fall of Mughal empire has been discussed, while chapter 6 deals with the famous monuments, forts, palaces and temples built during that period. chapter 7 gives the details of the towns, trade and craftsmanship. The social conditions prevailing in north and south India have been dealt with in chapter, Case studies of two tribes ¾ Gonds and Ahoms have also been discussed in this chapter. Chapters 9 and 10 deal with popular beliefs, religion cultures during the medieval period. The new political formations ¾ the decline of the Mughal Empire and the rise of the Marathas, Sikhs and the Rajputs ¾ have been discussed in detail in chapter 11.
UNIT II: OUR ENVIRONMENT GEOGRAPHY
The main aim of the Unit is to acquaint the students with concepts necessary to understand the world and global environment issues. First chapter deals with the Ecological System, Ecological Balance and necessity of study of environment. The second and the third chapters deal with the interior of the earth and changes taking place in the earth. Air and water have been dealt with in the next two chapters. Natural vegetation and wildlife have been discussed in detail in chapter 6. The seventh chapter is about settlements, modes of transport and communication. In the next three chapters life in Amazon basin and Ganga-Brahmputra basin, Prairies and Veld and Sahara desert and Ladakh desert have been discussed.
UNIT III: SOCIAL AND POLITICAL LIFE-II CIVICS
The Unit is divided into 8 chapters.
- Chapter 1 analyses various types of governments in the world today, and has special focus on Democracy and Human dignity.
- Chapter 2 shall enable students to understand the elections and the Electoral process. It also dwells on the National and Regional parties in our Country and their policies and programmes.
- Chapter 3 deals in detail with the formation of a State Government and its functioning.
- Chapter 4 deals with Media and Advertising. It enables us to understand how they mould the Public Opinion. The role and importance of Advertising have also been narrated in the chapter.
- Chapter 5 deals with the Gender Inequality. It explains the main discriminations against women in our society. It also mentions those provisions of the Constitution which are concerned with development and welfare of women in India.
- Chapter 6 focusses attention on the need and types of Markets. It explains the chain of activities that take place in a wholesale market generally.
- Chapter 7 discusses about the plight of the farmers, the landless workers, the weavers indulged in cotton cultivation and garment industries.
- Chapter 8 deals with the subject of equality and social justice.
Main Features of the Series
- Written in a simple language with an integrated thematic approach to make learning of the key concepts easier.
- Rich illustrations and detailed maps are the highlights of the book.
- Key words as New Words to Remember given at the beginning of each chapter.
- Extensive Case Studies included to help the children understand the topics better.
- Summary of the Lesson has been given for quick recapitulation.
- Rich and extensive exercises and activities are the important features of the book.
- Exercises include MCQs, True-False, Long and Short questions, Projects and Activities.
- More tasks given in each section of the book include Projects, Activities, Assignment, Map Work, PowerPoint Presentation, Surveys, Interviews, Debate and Discussion, Creative Writing, Picture-based questions, etc.
- Test Papers are given at appropriate places.
- Value-Based Questions, given at the end of each chapter, highlight the life skills and co-scholastic abilities of the children.
- HOTS (Higher Order Thinking Skills) question, a regular feature, given to enhance reasoning ability.
- Interesting Facts given as a box matter highlight interesting incidences and facts.
About the author