About the book
The present edition has been updated keeping in view the vision of the National Curriculum Framework 2005 and New NCERT Syllabus 2005 for upper primary school level. The book also incorporates all the suggestions received from its readers and teachers.
While the book was being revised, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) announced the much awaited educational reforms by abolishing external examination upto secondary level and replacing it with Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE) and made it mandatory for all the students affiliated with CBSE.
Since the concept of CCE is being introduced in India for the first time, the teachers were not aware as to its implementation, teaching strategies and how the students were to be evaluated. The authors, therefore, modified their approach to incorporated the new concept in the textual matter of the book. Basic philosophy of CCE and the strategies to be adopted for teaching have been highlighted under the following heads.
Objectives of teaching the chapter
- Suggested activities to be included for Formative Evaluation
- Fill in the blanks/Match the items/One word substitution question
- Questions for Summative Evaluation
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Questions based on figures/diagrams
- Thought provoking questions under the head “Think Tank”
- Suggested activities/projects/outdoor activities.
About the author